Thursday, March 23, 2006

A whole lot's happened...

First up, I offer a world of congratulations to my brother on the birth of his son, Raine Michael Rushton Sonelle, whose existencec became known to me merely a week ago. Can't wait to meet the little guy, who currently resides in Montreal.

The blog has suffered a bit of late as life has taken on some frenetic proportions. Commitment number one was the UPeace Model United Nations conference, which drew some 150 delegates, mostly from within Costa Rica, and threatened to devolve into a nightmare of Bushian proportions. Fortunately, much of it came together at the last minute and most delegates were unaware of the great well of chaos behind the scenes. My committee, where I represented China, addressed the issue of Iran's nuclear weapons program over three looong but entertaining days (Iran got quite snooty at times). I passed a resolution and won the Best Delegate award - yay me!

Other than that, my thesis looms and I'm busily digesting all I can about evolutionary psychology, while attempting to keep fed. I have approximately 300 pages of papers due in the next 3 months, so life is a touch busy. I'm also writing endlessly stimulating tracts on the symbology of terrorism and Iran's nuclear weapons, on which I have a short paper semi-published here. Another yay me!

In other news, I'm still hoping to visit Panama in April, when the entirety of Central America apparently enters a coma for the week leading up to Easter. I've applied for the aforementioned job in Thailand, as well as another in Afghanistan (not to terrify Mom, I swear), but still have no firm plans for what to do when school ceases to exist in June. Although I still plan to take a month to learn Spanish, but I know not where to head after that, nor how to fund said wanderings. We'll see.

P.S. In political affairs, I'm thrilled by the news that Basque separatist/terrorist group ETA has declared a unilateral permanent ceasefire. Who knows if it'll stick, but it would be nice to see an end to one of history's stupidest guerrilla campaigns.

Hugs 'til next time (when I post about the latetst crop of movies I've seen)!

11 Comments:

At 10:56 PM, Blogger Aleksu said...

Hopefully this will signal the end of the stupidest large war for oil profits that is killing dozens of thousands of innocent people in Iraq.

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Paul said...

Aleksu-

As I assume you are posting from Basque Country at the moment, I'll clarify my above comment. I consider Euskadi Ta Askatasuna to be one of the "stupidest guerrilla campaigns" because, having accomplished many of its most important goals (the protection of the Basque language, the enshrinement of Basque culture, many levels of local autonomy) decades ago, ETA continued with a wave of violence that most Basques no longer support - particularly after the 2004 Madrid bombings. This was all in pursuit of total Basque sovereignty, a goal that I believe most Basques understand is permanently out of reach.

I infer from your blog that you may feel I'm an American who supports the war in Iraq or thinks it is somehow linked to the recent announcement by Eta. For future reference, I'm a Canadian who's increasingly opposed to the American war and don't see any connection between it and the Basque situation.

I'm mostly just thankful that Eta appears to understand that violent methods will no longer serve its goals, and that the Basque people will no longer support such actions.

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Toby said...

Whoa, whoa, whoa, Afghanistan is a hundred, a bajillion, probably an infinity times less sexy than Indonesia.

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger christian said...

yeah paul, think of toby's street cred in academia! he's counting on you...

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Eva said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger Eva said...

This is totally off topic, but DUDE! How much did you pay for the graphics card in this computer?

It's gone wonky and the replacement value is still close to $300!

I'm terrified something else in here will break.

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Paul said...

Eva - that graphics card cost about $600 when I first bought it, way back in late 2002. Still shouldn't cost $300 to replace it. Oy.

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger Eva said...

I'm shopping around, might just bite the bullet and upgrade it a smidgen if I'm going to shell out a fair bit to get a comparable item anyways.

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Paul said...

Oh well, lasted a year and a half or so, anyways. Not bad for a free computer!

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Eva said...

Oh, no complaints. Just surprise.

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger christian said...

in case you were wondering paul, that big heapin' pile of NOTHING you gave me when you left is still fine. hasn't changed one bit since you left.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home